Thursday, May 31, 2012

Eddie.

One week ago this morning I woke up with a start after a particularly vivid dream.  I went to bed the night before with a slight ache on the lower right side of my abdomen that was just uncomfortable enough to make me stop and pay attention.  The ache carried over into my subconscious and that night I dreamt that I went into labor.  The contractions, the delivery room, the IV, were all so real that it took me some time to believe that it did not actually happen.

My little ache accompanied me as I went through the motions of my day.  As far as days go, it was rather non-typical since we had a doctor's appointment in the morning and I had an event for work that night.  Our appointment was standard and everything checked out beautifully.  Kaempfer's heart beat was perfect, all of my stats were spot on, and my doctor told me to call back later in the day if my little ache persisted. Rob and I then went to get lunch and I returned to my desk to prepare for the evening ahead.  Yet as the day progressed my ache did too and by the late afternoon it was becoming more forceful and coming in set increments.  Worried, I laid on my side and drank a lot of water thinking the ache would dissipate.  It did not.  

Knowing it would at least ease my mind to call my doctor, I called the nurse and she transferred me to OB Emergency Services.  The nurse that I spoke with advised me to go home, take a warm bath and drink copious amounts of water.  If my ache continued, she wanted me to come in.  I settled my affairs at work and on the drive home my ache transitioned from a mere ache to a pain.  I waddled up the stairs to my house and drew a bath immediately, hoping it would help.  It did not.  In fact, it was while I was in the bath trying to relax that one of my pains caused my stomach to tighten and sent a jolt of pain straight through my body. I cried aloud and a single word came into my mind, screaming at me to pay attention. "Hospital."

Rob raced home, running every red light and stop sign that came into his path and we checked into OB Emergency Services at 4:00 p.m.  At about 4:10 p.m. they notified me that I was fully dilated and that my baby was coming today.

I cannot easily relay the rest of this story since what followed in the next hour involved a lot of people rushing around.  A quick ultra sound was administered and it was discovered that not only was Kaempfer breech but he was also frank.  There were then multiple pokes and emergency shots, hurried phone calls to parents, and an emergency C-section - all for the sake of a tiny babe in a hurry to make his dramatic debut.  And finally, there was a hearty scream from a baby born 12 weeks earlier than expected.  

So it would appear that much like his brother before him, Kaempfer decided to be born on his own time and his own unique way and his arrival suddenly made a  non-typical day a birth day.


Edward Henry Koelliker
May 24, 2012
5:12 p.m.
2 lbs., 8 oz.

Edward Henry came into this world in a frenzy and has been fighting ever since.  Rob was truly inspired on the day he confidently gave our little Eddie his German nickname since he has already had to slug it out in the ring and so far, he is keeping his head tucked and getting in some money shots.

Eddie will live in the NICU for several weeks and it turns out that my plans to "expect the unexpected" with our little one have truly come to fruition.  We are in the midst of making our regular trips between the hospital and our home and we are very much riding the emotional roller coaster that all parents must ride with a child in the NICU.  But today was a good day and we will continue to appreciate good days.

Welcome to the world, sweet Eddie.  You are the cutest prize-fighter around.

17 comments:

Whitney said...

i love this...sweet little eddie!

The Mama said...

He truly is a miracle baby. I love him so much already!!

Camille Rogers said...

What an adorable little man. I pray he continues to be a fighter and make great progress! Hang in there during this crazy emotional rollercoaster.

Caitlin said...

love you both, I think about you daily... hourly.

amber kumar said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe your sweet little one is already here! I will keep your sweet little family in my prayers. He looks so precious!

B said...

Erin, I was with Caitlin when she found out your news about Eddie's birth. My heart broke. I am so sorry you are enduring yet another immense trial. I agree with one of your earlier comments and immediately thought, "hasn't she been through enough?"

I have been praying for you and your little fighter every day. Prayer is powerful and your little guy is being watched over. I hope for only the very best of outcomes and that you can take Eddie home with you soon. He is beautiful.

Much love and prayers,
Brittney

Katrina Mortensen said...

Congrats!! You and that cute little bundle are in my prayers!!

Holly Lujan said...

He is SO precious! I love the smiling picture at the top of your blog. We have been praying for you constantly and you are always in our thoughts. I told Lukey about Eddie and he can't wait to meet him! Eddie has that fighter look in his face :) He is such a lucky little boy to have amazing parents and an angel brother who is probably right by his side cheering him on. I'm so sorry that you have to face yet another trial on the crazy road of parenthood, but I know there are so many people who love you and are here to support you through it all. We love you all so much.

Be You Movies said...

He is amazing. Absolutely amazing and he will remain in my prayers as he grows stronger and bigger every day! I love you and your sweet family! I am sure that Henry is right there by his side every moment, just as all of the best big brothers are. Love you and hope that you are healing well and quickly.

Cullen said...

Praying for you and Eddie!!!

fagergrenfam said...

Erin and Rob, you are in our prayers. I think you often even though you are not aware. I am amazed at your strength and faith. You are such an example. We are here for you guys if ever there is a need.

sarah e. said...

Praying for you!! I saw Sara's post on FB. All the best...you deserve it. Eddie is one cute little guy.

chad hatch said...

Youre in our thoughts and prayers. Take one day at a time Erin. Our little Logan was born 10 weeks early @ 3 lbs. He spent 6 weeks in the nicu last summer at imc. He turns one next week and is a wild healthy boy. The nicu was full of UPS and downs but it will end. Hang in there. Eddie ie a stud.

Hilarie* said...

I'm glad everything got situated so you were in the right place at the right time for delivery of that sweet babe. Congrats. We will pray for you and the upcoming journey!

Tyler & Nicole said...

He is beautiful! So glad he is ok and we will surely keep him in our prayers!

Michelle said...

Welcome to the world Eddie! I will pray and hope for the VERY best for your family. Love ya!

laura said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats!

He is beautiful! He sounds like one tough little guy!