Sunday, March 16, 2008

Birthday Blues

Don't be misled by the title...
... I had a fabulous 23rd birthday this year. My only worry is that I won't remember my age because 23 is so inconsequential...I know that I am going against the "norm" on this one, but it seems that each year my birthday keeps getting better and better. For my entire life I have looked, sounded, and acted younger than I really am. And I would not even be surprised if the majority of you reading this post are shocked that I am actually in my twenties. So it is with joy and the hopes of bodily and mental maturity that I greet March every year.

Yet aging is not central to my happiness for my birthday. I attribute my birthday glee not only to my family and friends who made me feel extra special today (thanks everyone, I love you), but most of all to Rob. He truly outdid himself this year. We went shopping, he got me my favorite breakfast sandwich courtesy of the golden arches, framed my Art History diploma, and even got me two of my very own V-mail letters. You would think that after two years of marriage that I would expect his thoughtfulness, but I am constantly delighted by his sentimentality and sweet actions...I think that I'll keep him.

We added to my birthday celebratory activities by visiting our local Home Depot and adding extra spice to our living room/kitchen. Save for a smattering of art projects, I have never painted anything before. Rob has painted, but very little. So it was only natural to make a spontaneous decision and paint our walls blue. Initially, I admit that blue sounds wretched. But our blue is rich, saturated, and basically different from anywere I have ever lived. The flash on our camera makes the walls look baby blue, but they are darker and are almost cobalt. It adds a touch of class to our otherwise white walls, and I must say that the room's color is contagious. We put about 13 man/woman-hours into our project and we enjoyed beautifying our little apartment.

I am pleased to announce that we are impressed with the fruits of our labor, and I am enjoying the coziness of the space. We are now ambitiously talking about painting our bedroom and eventually our office...but those projects will have to wait for a couple of months until our sore joints recover.


What do you think?

10 comments:

marta said...

happy birthday, erin! your walls look completely cute! nicely done. and it's a tradition for me to get a mcdonald's mcmuffin on my birthday too. glad it was fun. hooray for you!

athomson said...

You two definately do march to a different drummer! Just the good old white walls will not do, I do love the look! Does Painter Pete hire out? Maybe you two should do interior design work on the side. I would love to see Rob's parents eyes when they see the transformation.
Good work I say!
mutti

The Mama said...

I love it too Midge! I wouldn't have thought to paint it blue, it sure brightens up the room! I'm glad you had a good birthday, strong work Robert!!

laura said...

i LOVE the blue! our bedrooms a similar color and it's very calming! happy birthday!

Tamber said...

Happy Birthday!...I love the wall color. I think that doing home decor projects are so much fun..My saying that probably gives away my age and occupation to anyone who doesnt know me.

Becki said...

I love your sense of adventure with the paint. I think it looks great! Glad you had a fun birthday!!!

Nicole said...

Eunice! I love the blue! It does look so comfy and inviting! I wish I had the guts to do a color like that. Happy late birthday!

Cort and Amy said...

Happy Birthday! Thanks for commenting on our blog, otherwise we would have never found yours! Come out and see us, ok?

Be You Movies said...

You are a girl after my own heart. COLOR belongs on walls! Nice work! I would love to see it in person sometime. I am so glad that you had a good birthday. Good for Rob to treat you the way that you deserve!

Caitlin said...

I LOVE the blue! Great choice :) I have always wanted to paint the walls of our little apartment, you inspire me. Happy late birthday! I remember celebrating many-a birthdays together in the past, I hope it was as wonderful as ever!