Monday, May 5, 2008

Commencement.

Though it has been official since December, I finally participated in the University of Utah's graduation on Friday. I confess that I initially was not too eager to pay for a gap and gown that I would only wear for two hours just to walk across a stage and receive a diploma that I already have framed in my study. It has been four blissful months since my last ulcer-induced string of Art History papers. Naturally, I figured that since I have distanced myself from school that my graduation would not be as celebratory as most.

In a way, I was right. I wish more than anything that I could have grabbed my diploma a mere days after I feverishly wrote my last term paper. The feeling of achievement, relief, and satisfaction would have been so tangibly sweet and overwhelmingly strong, that it would have been the perfect ending to the undergraduate chapter in my life. I suppose these feelings of regret were the only downside of graduating in December instead of finishing in April.

But I was also pleasantly surprised. As I sat in the commencement ceremony on Friday morning in the Huntsman Center and heard a series of rousing speeches about privilege, obligation, and promise, I could not help but feel overcome with emotion. Not only was I ready to jump out of my seat and immediately make the world a better place (because apparently I can now), but I felt a deep sense of happiness. Although much money has been spent in my behalf; my education truly is priceless. I believe that the ideas, concepts, and principles that I have absorbed over the past four years have become part of my character, just as they have for other students.

I looked around saw hoardes of proud parents, spouses, grandparents, and friends all enthusiastically cheering for their special graduate and at that moment I could not help but think of the many people who influenced my education and pushed me forward. My parents were first to come to mind. After seeing all of the parents that were in the audience, I looked over at my mom sitting next to me, and I could not help but feel deeply appreciative to have such supportive, intelligent, and loving people in my life. Although they never said it outright, I always knew that my parents had high expectations for me and their confidence helped me through even my bleakest hours of studying.

These feelings of gratitude and love only increased as I thought about my siblings, in laws, and friends that took the time over the past years to ask me about my papers, internships, and work schedules. My loved ones always made me feel like they had an active interest in my education and were always available for advice, listening-ears, and much needed sources of laughter.

But most of all, I thought about Rob. For four years he was indispensible as my German tutor, editor, audience, and greatest source of strength, support, and love. He knew the right times to push me forward, challenge my ideas, and question my thesis statements so that I could achieve things that I never thought possible. He always made me feel like I could accomplish anything and everything that I set my mind too and without him as my personal cheerleader I doubt that I could have made a career out of my Art History degree and have such great hopes for the future.

Thanks to everyone who has made a difference in my life, and I want to send a big congratulations to all of the students, grads, future grads, and PHT's (Put Hubby Through's) who diligently strive to make the world a better place. Carpe diem, my friends!

10 comments:

athomson said...

Yes, Friday was truly a "mother moment", those moments when mothers stop and think what wonderful children they have and know that being a mother is one of the most rewarding occupations a woman can have. I have to say that I had the cutest graduate in the group, smiling ear to ear, and always with that little bounce of hers, walking across the room to receive her "empty" folder. (Her diploma has already been framed by her sweetheart and hanging proudly in their home). Thank you Rob for taking over in the encouragement and pushing department. I really think that college life as a married couple is a combined effort. Thanks! And to think that because of her education she has been able to land her dream job.
I am so proud of you Midgie. Thanks for the "mother moment"!
Leibe,
Mutti

The White House said...

Congrats Erin! What an awesome accomplishment. I'm super happy for you!!

Becki said...

Congratulations again Erin! I remember your post 4 1/2 months ago as you wrote your last paper and officially completed your schooling requirements and now this past weekend you were able to walk. I think it's great you did walk even though you have been officially done for several months. You earned it, you might as well do it! What an accomplishment! What are you doing for work now?

The Mama said...

You go Midge!! I am so proud of you, for hanging in there and finishing your degree. I wish I was there to see you walk and see your happy smile. Good work, and I love ya!

Nicole said...

Congratulations! That's so awesome! I'm so jealous you're done. Good for you and all your hard work!

Cort and Amy said...

Graduating is such a great feeling, but just beware, you'll REALLY start to miss school in a few more months and be dying to go back. Take it from me:) But remember how we were going to be the ones that were intellectuals among our friends and then I got knocked up? haha, well that knocking up was one of the best things that ever happened to me, but we can still plan to be intellectuals together and maybe we'll be getting our master's at the same time and we can talk about how smart we are. Congrats Erin, the best is yet to come.

Tamber said...

Congrats on the Graduation....we should hand out soon....!

Be You Movies said...

Oh Erin. That really is so special and I am so proud of you for your hard work and all that you have accomplished. You are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Hey babe, I just got done reading what you wrote for Graduation! That was great what you wrote you always manage to put into words what everyone is thinking and feeling. I need to take the opportunity more often to post comments on this blog you write such amazing stuff and I love to read it! You can thank as many people as you'd like for their support but when it comes down to it you were truly the one that deserves all the credit! I know because I saw it first hand and watched as you anguished over every word and sentence until each one of your papers sounded just right!

~*Jen*~ said...

Congratultions! It's quite an accomplishment :)