Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Fit.

Summer is approaching and it seems like most people are determined to shed their winter weight and slip into a swimming suit. We are no exception. For the past three months Rob and I have been embarking on a challenging new adventure: dieting. Surely your first thoughts after reading the dreaded "d" word are filled with visions of eating disorders, celery sticks, mineral water, and pounds and pounds of red meat (thank you Atkins). But I am relieved to report that our diet has not incorporated any of these evils. Rather, we have joined the ranks of Body for Life enthusiasts and we still have our sanity and appetites in check.

Unlike other diets, Body for Life teaches you how to balance your meals with protein, carbohydrates, and fruits and vegetables (Maggie Moos didn't make the cut). It also teaches you to drink a lot of water, exercise six days a week, and plan your meals in advance. But arguably the best thing about the diet is that we get one free day a week where we can eat whatever (and this time Maggie Moos fits in). In short, it has been just what we were looking for. Because is it just me or does it seem that almost every preventable and dreaded disease can be avoided through the same formula? Diabetes, cancer, heart disease, all of them can basically be prevented through diet and exercise. And we thought that it was finally time to take some action.

It has not been easy. Over the past couple of months we have had moments of severe weakness...admittedly, those moments have been more mine than Rob's. And for those of you who have tried to give up candy, crackers, chips, and other tasty treats you will be able to sympathize with me. There are moments of extreme temptation where I feel like if I don't eat a chocolate morsel that my stomach will eat itself. But luckily those moments are few. Because when it comes down to it, it feels satisfying to teach my body and my taste buds that I am in charge (and there is always the free day to binge on yummy things!).

Rob has taken to the diet like a champ. After just the first week he had already lost five pounds and his body has only taken off from there. He has outgrown his suit pants, jeans, and shorts and he is looking better than ever (way to go handsome). I on the other hand have experienced the opposite. Due to my new exercise regimen (run six days a week, aerobics twice a week), my once-feeble muscles are waking up and I have literally grown out of my pants! Instead of shrinking down, it seems like I am expanding. My only hope is that my new habits will make me look toned and healthy and not like an American Gladiator...

So since I now have some experience with diets I thought that I would share 5 "musts" of becoming a healthier, happier, and a more "beautifer" you. Because let's face it, as cheesy as it is, it really doesn't matter what size you are but rather how good you feel.
  1. Must have a treadmill, elliptical, or other heavy-duty piece of exercise equipment handy. (Might I recommend a Sole treadmill)
  2. Must have a Costco card to buy fresh produce, protein bars, and meat.
  3. Must cut yourself some slack if you're not always 100%.
  4. Must have a reliable dieting/exercising source (i.e. "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips).
  5. Must be realistic with yourself and don't set yourself up to fail. Who knows, you might end up gaining weight like me!

And remember, "a balanced diet is having a cookie in each hand."

10 comments:

athomson said...

I can attest to the strong will of these two kids, I have seen them pass on many treats that they once devoured! Yes, as a mother having her children come over for Sunday dinner, I now have to stop and think, "What can the Koelliker kids eat"? This is a good thing because it has forced us all to eat better, but I have to be honest, sometimes after they leave the cookies, chips, etc come out. They both look terrific, the hard work is paying off.
Remember, two cookies, one for each hip!
mutti

The White House said...

Very inspiring post! I am ready for a run and a healthy dinner to follow! Very well said! Love the 5 "musts". I too am a huge fan of Sole! :)
you guys seriously rock. Good job!

Nicole said...

Way to go!! Good for you! I wish I could get the motivation to work out. I hate working out! Any motivational advice you'd like to share?

Anonymous said...

Hey Babe, thanks for the nice things you said. I don't deserve them nearly as much as you do! We all know that you're the driving force behind our diets (not letting me even eat a macaroni sample at Costco). Not too mention you never had any weight to lose and you only keep looking better and stronger every week. You're totally working me over in this diet but that's okay because when you lose me in the dust that's when I hed for Maggie Moo's...

laura said...

as the saying goes...diet is a four letter word, in my book. sounds like you're doing great, though!

Tamber said...

I love your post. I have been feeling so crapy lately, and I keep telling Eric that we need to go back on Body for Life, especially before we go to Lake Powellt this summer. Anyways, I am glad that the diet worked for you guys. It is amazing.

The Mama said...

I'm proud of you guys!! I wish Chad and I had the motivation to get on a program like you. And remember- muscle weighs more than fat, which is probably why you weigh more. And- it is physically impossible for you to end up like a gladiator, unless you take some major steroids!!! (I know because I was worried about that too, so I checked) Love ya!

Be You Movies said...

I am so proud of you two and I admire you greatly! I too have been learning to exercise regularly. I really thought that I was going to drop pounds rapidly, but I actually have maintained my weight and changed my shape instead. It feels good though. I hope that I can stay at it like you two. I am definitely inspired.

Lizzie said...

I'm impressed and inspired! You guys are great.

Caitlin said...

this was a great post, you are so witty! I have done that diet, I loved it! It really teaches you how to feel good! I really just hope you are taking before and after photos in bikini's and speedo's to post after you are done. :)