Sunday, August 24, 2008

Advice.

For the past month or so Rob and I have found ourselves on the threshold of a big decision. Our trusty old laptop (thanks for the hand-me-down, Dad) is on the brink of crashing and it is finally time to consider getting a new one. The problem being that there are so many options out there that it is nigh impossible to choose on a whim. Over the weekend we ventured into Office Depot, Best Buy, and Costco and we were literally bombarded by shiny keyboards and glittering screens. With all of the brands out there and with so many programs available, we are left scratching our heads in confusion...which one do we buy? Mac? PC? Tablet?

Involving an IT-Guy or computer specialist into our pondering certainly does not help. Once a friendly member of the "Geek Squad" starts talking about the infinite number of "rams," "n-cards," "giga-bytes," and "memory cards" inward confusion and hysteria ensues. Surely these smart and capable people could explain a computer in simpler terms?! Yes, they are talented and they most definitely know their stuff but with all of the unfamiliar terminology they throw around it feels like you would be making an investment of a lifetime instead of buying a mere computer.

So I am now asking you, my fellow bloggers for advice. What type of computer do you use? And if you were to buy a new one, which one would you buy?

All of your comments will be greatly appreciated, and I am seriously considering petitioning the computer people's union to become more user-friendly in their sales demos...who's with me?!

10 comments:

Lizzie said...

Would you think I was crazy if I said to get an apple because they look the cutest? While I hear they are great if you are creative and computer savvy, I am actually neither, so I can't justify the cost :)

Nicole said...

I don't know much about anything like that, but I'm married to a bit of a nerd. He got an Apple MacBook Pro about a year and a half ago, and he swears by it. There's lots of storage space(I don't know how much) and you can install Windows on it, as well as the Mac applications. I don't know that it makes that big of a difference, but it's way better than my old hand-me-down. I don't know if it helps you at all, but that's what we use.

Tamber said...

We just bought a Dell, and we love it! Eric would know more, because Lynn helped him find a good one, but I like how it works.

The White House said...

I have been in the middle of many a PC vs. Mac debates... and i must say, that both are good computers... both appeal to different people... but all in all, it boils down to what you are used to. Between those 2, Both take time to adjust. I have used both and have been very pleased. You just have to learn to love your computer through time, and through getting to know each other. :) So go with your instincts on this one. (or which one appeals to your budget) And i bet you will be happy. (if you are doing design work, Mac is the only way to go) PC lovers even agree with that. Hope that helps! :)

The Mama said...

I know it is a tough decision Midge! We heard really good things about Dell, so that's what we bought and I have to say that it has held up really considering the little paws that pound on it every day. The monitor is nice and thin and doesn't take up much room which I really like. Good luck!!

athomson said...

From someone who is totally computer illiterate, I find the Macintosh a lot more user friendly.
Mutt

Jenni Hinckley said...

I'm with Lizzie, I think the Macs are cuter, so that is what I usually base my decisions off what is cute and trendy! But Joseph knows a little more than me and he really likes our Mac, but he also said that computer that Amy just bought is really good computer too!
ps this is the second time I have tried to post this comment, and I am not sure if it worked the first time and so you may have two comments from me saying the same thing- so I guess we'll just see!

Kevin & Lindsay said...

Well, we are in the same boat you are. Kevin build our computer awhile ago and now it is dead and we can't figure it out. Don't you just love computers! ARRRR! I am lost without a computer. I however still have my laptop which has saved me. ?????which one to get....i am a sucker for laptops! I love reading you blogs...i love how things flow out of your brain and into writting. I wish my brain fuctioned half as good as yours. Looks like you guys are busy this summer. See ya

T.J., Lindsay, Drew, and Cameron Stevens said...

Oh, Erin!!! I have a MAC, and after being a very happy owner for the past two and a half years, I know that I will NEVER go back! My sweetie has a PC laptop, and he hates it. The Macs might be a bit more spendy, but you don't have to buy any security i.e. Mcafee. It's so easy to use, and if ever have any issues, you can always take it in to the apple stores-just buy applecare- and they will fix your compy for free!! Also, you can use Microsoft Office on a Mac too. Hope that helps :)

~*Jen*~ said...

I'm still of the opinion that Macs are of the devil. I suppose I'm one to go against the grain on this thread lol. I bought my Dell last year and LOVE it! If you have any questions about hard drive space, RAM, and what not...hit me up and I can tell you in "real people" terms ;)