Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Joy.

Why is it that the Christmas season gets shorter and shorter each year? As children we "countdown" to the holidays.  Paper chains and chocolate Advent calendars are enthusiastically ripped to shreds by eager hands.  Twenty-five days seems like an eternity to a child.  Because for children the magic is still in Christmas - the wonder of bright lights, snow angels in the yard, and presents left by a generous man in a red suit.  Yet as adults, those twenty-five days become just twenty-five days.  Just twenty-five days to deck the halls, find the perfect gift for loved ones, and visit family and friends.  And try as I might, it feels like Christmas slips away before I can fully immerse myself in the spirit of the season. Surely, you must feel the same way. 

This year however as my shopping lists became longer and constraints on my time became greater, I experienced a familiar epiphany.  It dawned on me somewhere in between humming Silent Night and holding our newest little nephew. An epiphany that is not so much about packages and bows, but rather about the greatest gift. A priceless gift that is not only free to everyone but is more precious than even the most expensive bauble or toy.  

I like to picture this gift arriving.  The night that it was given and the people that were present.  I imagine the sacredness of this cherished gift being brought to Earth and the joy that He brought with Him. For me and many others, He is what makes the hustle and bustle of the season worth the stress and the strain. Because celebrating His birth, His life, and His love, is truly a celebration of goodness. A recognition of faith, virtue, love, and family. How grateful I am to have this gift, a gift that does not diminish or fade over time. 

Regardless of religion, race, or creed, I hope that each of you find joy in your festivities this year. May you be surrounded by those that love and care for you, and may you feel sublime happiness in infinite gifts that cannot be wrapped.  

Much love, 
Erin

2 comments:

Cort and Amy said...

MErry Christmas! We need to see you guys before we leave! Hope you rocked the GRE Erin (but I'm pretty sure you did).

Becki said...

Thank you for such a perfect post! One that both describes the magic of Christmas but more importantly the true message of Christmas and the spirit that is too easily forgotten. Hope yours was perfect!