Outside is one of the things I love most about the summertime. The weather is warmer, the sun stays up longer, and therefore people are constantly biking, hiking, and walking their dogs. Lately Rob and I have been taking advantage of the midsummer evenings by walking up City Creek Canyon. Initially we started for the sake of exercise - since going up hill for a couple of miles and then down has its aerobic benefits. Yet as we continued to make time for our walks it became obvious that simply being outside and being together was more beneficial than the actual exercise.

I have never been a big workout nut but City Creek is unlike any other trail, track, or treadmill. The landscape is varied and the foliage shines deep green from the setting sun
(not a typical Utah trait for July). Almost every other bend in the road makes us both stop, catch our breath and spontaneously mutter "this is my favorite spot," or "this is
beautiful." At times like these I finally
(and I mean, FINALLY) feel the advantages of exercise. My mind is clear, my body is working hard, and everything around me starts to make sense. With my "walking eyes" on even the simplest things become sublime.

Our routine is not strict nor is our path necessarily set. Depending on the day we can push ourselves 6 or 7 miles. Other days we keep it down to 3 or 4. Perhaps this is what makes us want to go back again and again. We understand each other's limitations we know each other's moods. Yet sure enough, it only takes a short reprieve for one of us to suggest another walk or a picnic in the canyon and then we find ourselves setting out on the familiar stretch of pavement.

Forgive me for being cliche, but our walks are magical in a way. If I have a worry about something or if I have had a rough day at work somehow our walks seem to work them out. My issues, much like the road that bobs and pitches, always seem to flatten out when we are done and I am inevitably left feeling lighter, happier, and free.
This magic no doubt comes from a patient and long-suffering exercise buddy.
4 comments:
mmm hmmm. I know how that goes! Don't husbands give the best advice? Happy summer!
I wish I lived closer so I could come and walk with you guys... it sounds just beautiful!! Love you!
That sounds so nice! I'm glad you have a place to escape to and someone to escape with. It is beautiful there!
That sounds so wonderful. I love it.
Post a Comment