Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mutant?

Due dates are not an exact science. Women rarely go into labor when they are predicted to and I am perfectly aware of that. Yet, I cannot help but be excited by the fact that Sprout is due exactly one month from today. Naturally I am trying not to get my hopes up. If pregnancy has taught me anything it is that each woman is so individual that it is impossible to know exactly what will happen and when. But that has not prevented us from guessing. Rob and I have both been working on our fortune telling skills and as of right now Rob feels like the baby will be right on time if not a day before or after his due date. I, on the other hand have an inkling that he will be either early or late by at least a week - but I am not sure as to which one yet.

One thing is for certain though, as the weeks progress and our little Sprout continues to put on the pounds my body is becoming an increasingly more uncomfortable place to be. Not only have my ribs and back fallen victim to spontaneous bursts of pain but my stomach is also highly concentrated on practicing for his big day. My Braxton Hicks are still irregular but are becoming more frequent and intense with each day. Last week I attempted to describe the feeling of said Braxton Hicks to Rob. I tried to explain the intense pressure in my abdomen and the sensation of feeling like I have been stretching to capacity - but I ultimately felt like these efforts were futile.

I then tried to describe the feeling through movies and images (my favorite things) and at last the thought came to me...

Granted, Wolverine is a bit of a sensationalized and overdramatic comparison (and yes, scary), but it certainly conveys the feeling of one's body undergoing such profound pressure and tension that it feels like the skin is about to burst open with life.
What do you think fellow mothers and mothers-to-be? Is my example on par or can you think of a better one?

4 comments:

Tamber said...

I like your description. Mine "fake contractions' always felt like my whole stomach transformed into a bowling ball for 30 sec-2 min at a time, then it would go back.

The Mama said...

Ha ha ha... pretty good description. I would also say it is like "Spaceballs" when that little alien bursts out of his stomach. It feels like they will poke through any minute.

Nicole said...

Mine was just insane tightening of the stomach muscles, like you're trying to flex your abs really hard. I think he'll come on your birthday!

Jenni Hinckley said...

Love the picture, I think that's how I remember it being!