Friday, September 3, 2010

Control.

Up until six and a half months ago I had a personal mantra that held true in my life: hard work + good karma = desired results. Though simple, this formula was applied to the test numerous times in school, jobs and in my personal life and it often brought me favored and happy outcomes. There were many moments when things did not go as planned but I seemed to bounce back and situations inevitably worked themselves out. And several months ago I felt that it was important to apply equal effort into thinking positively and working hard, since I could not expect to get something for nothing.

It is now six and a half months later and I am working through a tragedy. I applied my formula to the most important event in my life thus far and it did not work. Indeed, it went horribly wrong.

A year before I got pregnant I started taking pre-natal vitamins just so that my body could be infused with the proper nutrition just in case I happened to conceive without my knowledge. Before that, Rob and I cut red meat out of our diet and tried to rid our cupboards of saturated fats and empty calories. At one point I took up running and made a more conscious effort to exercise and take better care of myself. Thankfully, I became pregnant with Henry at the peak of this healthy stage in my life and I was happily able to expound upon these healthy habits and integrate new ones. During my pregnancy FiberOne granola bars became staples in my diet and our fridge was stocked with fruits and vegetables. I never left home without my green Nalgene bottle which I dutifully filled at least four times a day to make sure I was properly hydrated. I stayed away from unpasteurized cheeses and deli meats and I was one of the first expectant mothers to get inoculated for H1N1. Rob and I read baby books, attended child bearing classes and I feverishly prepared our home for our little one. We did these things lovingly and with the excitement that only new parents can have. And we did these things with a blind trust, never doubting that we would have anything but the opportunity to raise our son.

As a person that put great emphasis into applying this formula in my life I cannot find the proper words to express the frustration, emptiness and anger I feel in not being able to have my happy and desired result right now. We gleefully applied the work into preparing for Henry's arrival and it continues to send a shock through my system that he is not in his crib right now. Whatever control I had in applying my formula in my life seems to have left since the day Henry passed away. Shock overtook us on February 9th and although we did not know exactly what was going to happen to our son after he was born not breathing, it never occurred to us that we would have to say goodbye to him so soon. After he passed away in our arms after just four days it became clear to me more than ever before, just how little control I actually have. I did not have control when I became pregnant, I did not have control when Henry was born 3 weeks earlier than expected and I certainly did not have control in the manner in which he died. As a person of faith I give up my control to my Heavenly Father believing that although I feel powerless, I have power in Him. And although my heart is heavy and my burdens feel overwhelming, that one day I will feel at peace. And one day, I will be reunited with Henry.

Yet as comforting as these sentiments are and as much peace as we find in everlasting truths and doctrines, we still have to find the strength to work through our grief. Each day we are still confronted with the reality of our situation. And as beautiful as it is to know that we have him in the future, it is also extremely difficult to wait for that blessed reunion. Many well-intended people have reminded us of the blessings of eternity but sometimes it feels that they forget that death and eternity are a long way away for us. We do not know what lies in store for us for the rest of our lives, but we do know that we will not be able to see or hold our son tomorrow; and today, we are forced to live with that pain.

We do not have a medical explanation for Henry's death. Despite the fact that my pregnancy was perfectly normal and Henry's delivery was seemingly ideal, the doctors are still perplexed as to why he suffered such extreme complications and subsequently passed away. I suppose that these mysterious circumstances invite interpretation since people want to be helpful to us in this time of hardship and tragedy. The most meaningful interactions we have had with people have not been with those who have sought to explain our situation to us but rather have just expressed their sorrow.

We do not have control in many things in our life right now but we do have the control to be human and to be grieving parents. And most importantly, to miss our son.

7 comments:

laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laura said...

i don't think i'll never understand why such wonderful people like you and rob have had to endure something so incredibly painful.

we're keeping you in our prayers.

-tom & laura

athomson said...

Erin and Rob,
I just want to thank you for the opportunity I had to share this experience with you, though extremely hard, one I will always cherish and never forget. I am not the same person I was whether it be good or bad for having gone through this experience. Tuesdays and Saturdays are not my favorite days of the week, the 9th and 13th are not my favorite days of the month, and driving by Larkin every day still brings tears to my eyes. My prayer is that the pain will lessen with time for the two of you and that we can all have hope in the future.
Mom

Kolette said...

Erin, I have known a lot of people in my life, but no one as sweet and strong as you. I know that you suffer, and yet you try so hard to not show it at work. Your laugh is so contagious and I cherish your friendship.

No child can take the place of Henry, but, someday you will have another child, I know it in my heart. This child will help close the gap that you feel so you can stop the ache, yet never forget.

I love you and think that you handle your life and grief better than I could and I admire you for that.

Caitlin said...

Thank you for sharing that lovely and tough message. I am so sorry you both had to go through this.

With much love, always.

Katrina Mortensen said...

Thank you for sharing this amazing message. You are someone I look up to and are truly amzaing. I know I havent see or really talked to you in a long time, but as one of your other friends commented not only your laugh but smile is contagious and you bring the best out in everyone you meet. I'm sure you have touched so many lives even Henry's in the short time he was with you. I wish you all the best in the future. I hope you don't mind me adding your blog to my list, but I was hoping to stay better in touch with you this way since I don't have fb anymore.
Katrina (Conradi) Mortensen

lisa brown said...

Erin, I enjoyed talking to you tonight. It helps me to hear you talk about Henry, your thoughts and how you are feeling. I love you and Rob and think about the grief you must be suffering often. You are in my prayers as well as Grace's. More than once I have heard her say "please bless that Jesus and Henry will come down again." love you guys
Lisa