I can vividly remember going home to Rob later that night and telling him that I knew what I wanted to name one of our sons. Whenever I heard or thought of this name I could see him. He was blonde, stalky, and full of energy and life. He had Rob's face and was gentle and good. Fortunately, Rob liked this name too and over the next four years we toyed around with other names but always came back to that one. And on February 9th, 2010, Henry received his name through a special blessing (like a christening) in the hopsital. I am still in love with the name Henry. Probably even more so now than ever before. I never grow tired of hearing it, writing it, reading it, or saying it, and I feel like my visions of our blonde haired boy are quite accurate.
But just as surely as I knew that I wanted a Henry, I also knew that there had to be an Edward.
The name Edward has been used quite a bit in the Koelliker family as a middle name in honor of Rob's grandfather, Edward Conrad. I never met Grandpa Koelliker but I know that he was a loving husband, devoted father and grandfather, and was a faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He lived an exemplary life while living with a debilitating illness and has left an enduring legacy through his family.
It was our great honor to bless our little Edward Henry on September 30th and name him after these two outstanding people. On that day, and every day, I am grateful for Grandpa Koelliker and Henry because they are not only part of our family but they give Eddie proud examples to follow. I look forward to seeing their influence in Eddie's life as well as the influence of his other grandfathers, great grandfathers, and other righteous members of our family.
(Four generations: Great Grandma Hess, Grandma Thomson, Mom, & Eddie)
On Eddie's day, the sun was shining, the leaves were changing on the trees, and we were all dressed in our Sunday best. And for the first time in Eddie's life, he was able to be surrounded by both sides of his loving family.
(Grandma & Grandpa Koelliker, Dad, & Eddie)
His grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins all gathered together to celebrate his special day.
And he enjoyed the attention.
September 30th was a happy day for many reasons but I think the one that I appreciated the most was feeling the love of so many. Eddie is one loved little boy. I have known it from the very beginning. He is obviously loved by us and our family but there are so many other people who have taken a vested interest in him and who want only good things for him. And I am sure that if we extended an open invitation to everyone who fasted, prayed, or cheered for him during his first months of life that we would fill even the largest of meetinghouses.
In our church, a baby is blessed in a circle of men bearing the priesthood and I keep returning to the thought of this sacred circle because it leads me to think of the numerous circles of support that I am blessed to have in my life. I think of my family and then I think of the friends and acquaintances I have made in school, work, the NICU, and church, and before I know it, I start to see multiple circles. And as the circles grow and as I take time to think about each member of each and every circle my heart becomes flooded with profound gratitude. I love each and every person in my circles; some of them I have known since childhood, while others, just for a month or two. They are all unique and I appreciate them for different reasons but there is a common denominator between them all and that is love.
I want to say thank you to the members of my amazing circles of support for being so willing to love Eddie as we do. Thank you for your tremendous faith and providing us with strength. Thank you for feeding us, visiting us, and for making us laugh when we needed humor the most. Thank you for your thoughtful texts, phone calls, emails, and other little notes. Thank you for being patient with us while we hid in the NICU and barricaded ourselves at home for so many months. Thank you for your happy thoughts. And thank you above all for your prayers. We have felt your love from the very beginning and it has helped.





3 comments:
Wow, what great pictures! Your photographer has some skills!;) No, really, I do love these, especially Eddie's little smirks. It was a beautiful day for a special little guy. I was so happy to be apart of it. Love you.
<3
This made me smile. So happy for your family! That last picture sure is a keeper.
Post a Comment