Sunday, June 23, 2013

First.

Last month our little prizefighter turned one year old and from the moment that I woke up that day, my thoughts continually returned to that little pain that I felt on the lower right side of my belly just one year before.  I thought about how that pain increased as the day progressed and I then thought about the moments leading up to Eddie's emergency delivery.  And as I recalled and replayed the events of that day I was humbled by how all of the pieces seemed to fit together.  I thought about how all of the people, places, and things just happened to be exactly where they needed to be and how everything was just as it should be so that Edward Henry Koelliker could come into this world.  And I could not help but smile.

I also thought about the time that Eddie spent in the hospital and how particularly terrifying his first days of life were for Rob and me.  He did remarkably well from the start but Rob and I had been in the NICU before - and we knew too much.  I had faith but I admit that I hoped for the best but half expected and absolutely dreaded the worst.  And as the days progressed my shock from his prematurity wore off but I was riddled with anxiety and fear.

But even as a tiny baby, Eddie made it difficult to be frightened for too long.  With each and every one of his milestones he grew stronger and he made it abundantly clear that he was his own person.  And that he was here to stay.



And he was and still is everything that we needed in our family.

                                       

We celebrated Eddie's special day with our family and friends and while the party was in full swing I overheard snippets of conversations that I am assuming were started with recollections of where everyone was the year before and what they were doing when they heard the news about his unexpected birth.  From what I gathered, each person was in a different place and was going about the business of their own life.  But everyone remembered where they were and how they felt.  And they all expressed their gratitude for being able to celebrate Eddie's first year and for his incredible "fight."

Eddie with his loving grandparents

Three generations of Koelliker boys  

The birthday boy right before he dived into his celebratory cupcake

Sweet, sweet Eddie, boy, have you ever given us a year to remember!  

5 comments:

Cullen said...

Your smile in these pictures warms my heart. I'm very happy for you.

Nicole said...

Yeah!! Happy Birthday Eddie!! Keep being exactly what your amazing mommy and daddy need!

The Mama said...

Such a beautiful post! Eddie is a blessing to the whole family. Love you all.

Sarah said...

We love Eddie!! And Erin and Rob :) miss you guys, hope to see you soon!!

athomson said...

What a difference a year makes! Can't wait to celebrate more milestones!