Monday, January 28, 2008

Accreditation...


This seemingly simple embossed piece of card stock arrived in the mail on Saturday. Claps and cheers didn't encourage me on as I opened the plain white envelope. (Family celebrations will have to wait until May when I officially walk in the commencement ceremony) Instead, my diploma was quietly received with an affectionate hug from my sweetheart and a beaming smile from its beholder. My eyes lingered on "Erin Thomson Koelliker" written upon such an official document. Miniature thrills of pride shot up and down my spine. I smiled an inward smile, thinking how unusual it was to be "a college grad" and to have a supposed direction in my life.

After four years and three schools, I finally have my Bachelors degree. I must make it clear that I do not write about my diploma out of self-importance, but rather to reflect on an exciting period of my life. Countless Art History papers, several sleepless nights, an unprescribed ulcer, and an undocumented case of senioritis made it a hard-fought battle. But many happy memories and much hard work is accompanying this little piece of paper. Not to mention a growing appetite for art, an aptitude for writing, and a fuzzy knowledge of the German language (Ich liebe Deutschland!).

During my "college years" I lived in Rexburg, Idaho; Trapper Creek, Alaska; Bountiful, Utah; Washington, D.C.; and Sugarhouse, Utah. I attribute much of my character to my experiences in these places. I had a total of 19 roommates: 15 at BYU-Idaho, 3 in Alaska, and 1 that I decided to settle down with for good. I visited my very first large-scale museums: the Art Institute of Chicago, the National Gallery, and the American Art Museum. I worked as a janitor, front desk clerk, bank teller, dental assistant, and intern. I discovered that I have an affinity for Improv comedy, geology, and philately. I became an aunt. I wrote my first 10+ page paper. And I met Rob.

I will miss going to school, and I will miss the self-discovery that came with it.

2 comments:

athomson said...

Here again is another "mother moment". I am proud to say that this young woman is my "baby".
Ich leibe dich,
mutti

thinkHP said...

yipeeeeeeeeee! yea for graduation!