We have just received sad news for our LDS community. Our beloved Prophet President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away tonight at age 97. For Rob and me, it is the end of an era. A particularly good era. During President Hinckley's Presidency, Rob served in Leipzig, Germany. I gained my own personal testimony, and we met and were married in the Salt Lake Temple. We discussed all of the wonderful things that have happened during President Hinckley's 13 years and we marvelled that such an amazing person has been a part of our lives. Much like all church members, we feel a special connection to him because of his personable counsel and his lovable personality.
His loss is especially difficult due to the passing of my Grandfather two months ago. I did not blog about the death of my Grandpa. It was a very difficult and personal tragedy. My Grandpa was the first family member to die during my lifetime. He was also one of the greatest sources of inspiration in my life. For years, I associated the peace and love I felt for my Grandpa to the way that I felt when I heard President Hinckley's words. It brings me great comfort to know that both of these great men who played such significant roles in my life are resting in a better world.
Rob and I decided that our most treasured memory of President Hinckley will forever be three-ish General Conferences ago. We were in the congregation when the entire Conference Center stood in respect and reverence and sang "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet." I won't even try to detail the overwhelming feelings of love that we felt that day, but know that we will miss hearing him each Conference and having him as our Prophet.
3 comments:
Midge,
Kim and I just read your latest posts. We both thoroughly enjoyed your list and were touched by your memoriam. We are having so much fun here, but wish we could be home now with the funeral and everything. I love ya, will talk again soon!
midgie,
such sweet words...you certainly do have a way of expressing yourself. you are so eloquent and most of all sincere.
love you more,
mutti
hey guys! i guess tom ran into rob the other day and told me about your blog! i've added you to mine, laurahildebrand.blogspot.com
glad things are going well!
Post a Comment