Monday, January 14, 2008

Feeble Attempts of Creativity....

I am deeply jealous of creative people. There was once a time in my life when I was extremely imaginative. In fact, I probably teetered on the bizarrely creative (just ask my family and childhood friends). However, I am sad to report that I have lost all if not most, of my creativity. I blame this loss on art history. Most people are under the illusion that since I look at works of art all day that I must do it myself. These people could not be more wrong.

Quite the contrary, before I was in art history my mind was unspoiled and my confidence was great. Now, whenever I go to draw or even decorate my house I think, "what do these colors or shapes reveal about my personality that I wouldn't someone else to know?" Because let's face it, that's what most people think about art. They see Van Gogh without an ear in his paintings so they naturally assume, "oh, he's a crazy man and he's making a cry for help in his art!" I do not completely disagree with some of these assumptions but I also think that not all art is a direct reflection on the artist.


Exhibit A: Here is a lackluster photo of a sunflower and some irises ala Van Gogh. I took this picture because the colors were so lovely in the middle of winter that I wanted to spread the joy of fresh flowers. Rob brought me these lovely surprises last week just tell me he loved me, and I was tickled pink. My joy obviously didn't translate into art, but it still means a lot to me. But if I was to write a paper on this photo, my work wouldn't fare so well.


Exhibit B: This image could go either way. It could be viewed as a stroke of luck because the bluriness of my Nikon camera makes my work look Impressionistic...(I especially enjoy the brass of my retro lamp in the back!) Or it could be seen as bad. Because it's not a very good photograph. The bottom line is this: art is whatever you make of it, but for heaven sakes, if you're going to make art at least make it appealing!

In protest of my lack of artistic abilities I have made my blog completely white. Because I am not even going to pretend that I am crafty or resourceful. So, for those of you out there that make a living (or a hobby) creating beautiful things or putting patterns together to make them match... I salute you!

3 comments:

athomson said...

midgie,
you are so funny! i love the new "artistic" you but i am most impressed by rob giving you flowers. what a sweetie! he truly is a "keeper"!. Your home is always clean, decorated darling, and of course most importantly, smells good.
love you,
mutti

The Mama said...

You are so creative, don't you fool yourself!! I would give anything to write like you do. I love reading your blogs and comments on my page, they are so hilarious!

Be You Movies said...

Erin,
You my friend have a creative soul! I have always loved to see any of your art and just listening to you speak is so eloquent it could be poetry! I love you friend!
Vanessa