Perhaps one the greatest lessons that my mom has ingrained within me is that a house needs to be cleaned from top to bottom each week. Ideally I would clean everyday and not just mere tidying or spot cleaning. Granted, I do not have children and I do not even live in a house so my feelings may change over time. But after much self reflection I have come to the conclusion that I could easily live in a bubble. Some may call my inclinations tidy, but I think that I teeter on manical. I despise germs, grease, and dreaded dust mites. I shiver at the thought of having bacteria and mold dwelling in my house unnoticed. In a perfect world I could go to work, cook dinner, spend quality time with Rob, watch American Idol, and still deep clean. I hold myself back not because of lack of energy, but because I also notice that my tendencies may not be normal. If you were to come to my apartment on any given day it would not be spotless. But believe me when I say that the desire is there. Though my aspirations are not practical (sadly Idol is only on twice a week), I do enjoy watching my house transform into a Mr. Clean masterpiece each week.
And for my readers who have chauvinistic visions of me vacuuming in a 1950's apron and pumps while Rob puts his feet up that your doubt simply isn't true. Rob is a happy and willing participant in my "therapy."
7 comments:
Erin,
This is Lizzie Hinckley Davis (Joseph's sister). I found your blog through a friend and you are so cute! Glad to know you are doing well and that the South African's are home and well for Conference. How exciting! I hope you don't mind me checking out your blog every once in a while - ours is jtandlizziedavis.blogspot.com.
-Lizzie
I am proud to say that Midgie (those of you that have read her previous blog know that that is what our family call her) did get her insane drive for a clean home from me. Sometimes though I have to admit that I needed to "stop the madness" and just smell the roses. Speaking of smells, that is another issue. Both of us like a nice smelling home! She is correct in saying the Rob helps because I have seen him in action!
You go girl,
Mutti
I love a clean house too, but sadly it is getting harder and harder for me to get it done. It seems that if I do have the time then I simply don't want to do it! I'm so glad that Rob helps you. Hopefully he will keep helping as the years go by, because Chad seems to have run out of steam!
Love ya!
I have to say that all of your ideas and aspirations are shared by your truley. I use to clean for fun in high school and college. As time goes on I find that keeping up with the kids has stolen my time for cleaning, though I do find it very theraputic once the kids go to bed. I think I would also have an easier time if I had a husband that consistently helped....but he is learning and getting better at helping. Keep up the fun work!
I have never enjoyed cleaning, but after having kids and learning that having a clean house was something I COULD do, I have changed my tune! I wouldn't say that I love cleaning, but I absolutely can't live in a dirty house. I'm not talking about shoes on the floor and an unmade bed, but the little things that you can't see. I am willing to admit that I have OCD. All cleaning must be done a very specific way, or I lose sleep...seriously! We are both lucky to have such helpful husbands. My sweetie is happy to do just about anything I ask him and will even tri-fold the towels like I like to have them done!
I just wanted to say that i understand where you are coming form. I enjoy the look & smell of a just cleaned house. Sadly mine is not as clean as i would like it but, it at least has that appereance! I like it a lot more now that i have my own house!! MMMMM....lemon and orange!!
We are VERY alike! After a hard day at work, a stressful situation, a fight, and yes, even a snow storm... i take my frustrations out on the house, with Windex, lysol, and a scrub brush. its my only way to take control... I felt like i was reading my own thoughts when i read this! Loved it! :)
Post a Comment