Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Consumed.

My blogging attentions have been diverted for the past several days by an old friend...
Yes, I know that I am revealing my inner-geek by confessing my Potter-adoration but I cannot deny that these books are seriously addicting.  On a whim I picked up The Deathly Hollows on Sunday and I literally have not been able to put it down.  When I have not been at work or asleep I have been glued to my couch, curled up in a down comforter, and reliving Harry's final adventure.  I have even gone so far as to read late into the night by flashlight so Rob can sleep and I can keep reading (does that sound familiar, Beaner?). Add this in with the blustery October weather and you have a recipe for what I like to call "good book weather" where all I want to do is stay inside, devote myself to a book, and enjoy the coziness of the season.

For me, reading these books is like flipping through my adolescence. I grew up with Harry.  My impressionable teenage years were spent eagerly awaiting the books each summer and watching the movies in the fall.  And as you can see, my enthusiasm has not lessened over the years...In fact it has probably only been enhanced as I have reread them.  Specific memories are attached to each book and it spans from my 8th grade year to my early twenties.  These books were read in my room, others were poured over while I was in Rexburg, Alaska, or D.C.  The last four were accompanied by tears others were accompanied by outbursts of laughter and delight.  While reading Harry I learned how to drive, made lifelong friends, met Rob, and got married.  I had adventures of my own but these books were always a constant source of anticipation, excitement, and curiosity. 

Although I read it last summer with the rest of world, I obviously read this book too fast to absorb the details.   Now that I am experiencing it the second time I realize that along with providing an entertaining read, these books have given me a mental vacation of escape.  The world is completely fictional but the events, the deaths, the lives are all real to me because I equate them to specific periods of my life.  And now each twist and turn in The Deathly Hollows is new, each death (of the many) is equally traumatic, and the story is even more gripping than I remembered.  I am so sad that I no longer have these books to look forward too each summer.  Pathetic, yes, but true nonetheless. I will miss reading about Harry.

So now I am left with a book void.  I know that many of you will recommend Twilight, but does anyone have a good book that they can recommend?

5 comments:

athomson said...

I am so glad that you enjoy reading, Midgie. There is nothing like the feel and smell of a good book. I will always remember your Harry's on the dresser or floor as you were growing up. Sweet memories. I for one am not a real Harry fan but for an author to write a book with such characters and story line that almost the whole world, with people of all ages devour, I think that is amazing. I really enjoyed the book "A Fine Balance". This is about a group of people who live in India. It made me realize how truly blessed I am. Mutti

T.J., Lindsay, Drew, and Cameron Stevens said...

I've read a bunch of books lately, and I have really loved Shannon Hale. She is a local author and she takes little known fairy tales and puts her own spin on them. My fav's were Goose Girl and Princess Academy. Right now I'm working on Enna Burning (so far-good). Her books are written for teenagers, but they are clean, well written and have good stories. Hope that helps! :)

The White House said...

I started reading the 1st in the Harry series a couple weeks ago!! I know i know... im way behind... but it is wonderful! I find myself right there in the halls of Hogwarts each night, and i am taken away. I love it!

Holly Lujan said...

I TOTALLY know how you feel. When I finished Deathly Hallows last summer I felt this giant void in my life. It was seriously like someone had died. I have read a couple good books lately:
The Book Thief
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
The Kite Runner
Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Have you heard of goodreads.com? You should check it out.

~*Jen*~ said...

Yep, you so read my mind. Twilight! Haha. I haven't been addicted to a book series like this since Harry Potter, so that will give you an inkling lol. If you're looking for something off the beaten path a bit, you might want to try The Promise Land series by David G. Wooley. I've enjoyed the books and I just found out like yesterday that the 4th volume came out, so I need to jump on that and get it!